The lighthouse was built in 1883 after the conditions were found to be unsatisfactory for the continued use of a lightship at that location.
It is the oldest building in the Whyalla area and was used to assist ships going to Augusta and port Pirie.
The original structure was 15 metres in height and was made from local sandstone.
It's optical apparatus had an eight side catadioptric lens that revolved once every 80 seconds and gave a 2 second flash every 10 seconds. The light source was a wick burner fueled by mineral oil.
Supplies were landed by boat from Port Pirie on the opposite side of the Gulf.
After a number of incidents the height of the light was raised by 7.6 metres to its current level in 1909. At this time a kerosene vapourising light unit was installed.
The light was demanned in 1973 after the installation of a "Stone Chace Power Beam Beacon" on the balcony. It was powered by batteries
in 1979 the light was connected to mains electricity and the lens and lamp were upgraded in this process.
The light was turn off in 1993 by the Austrlain Maritime Safety Authority as it believe it was no longer necessary.