Cnr Hay & Clarence Streets
Port Macquarie NSW 2444
Tel: (02) 6584 1818
Email Address: email@example.com
Web Site: http://www.portmacquarieinfo.com.au/historiccourthouse
Port Macquarie's Historic Courthouse was built in 1869 to fulfil an urgent and pressing need to replace the original Courthouse which was in a derelict state.
The building was designed by James Barnet the Colonial Architect and built by Butler & Bourne local builders at a cost of 1,091 pounds 9 shillings. The Courthouse served the community for 117 years, until it was vacated in 1986 when a new Courthouse was built in Murray Street.
The restoration of the Courthouse, the only remaining Government building from the last century in Port Macquarie, was given added weight in 1988 when a Permanent Conservation Order No. 544 was made under the Heritage Act 1977.
Restoration work commenced in early 1993 and the Official Opening took place on 30th August 1993. This was achieved by a grant of $75,000 from the Commonwealth Government Heritage Properties Restoration Program, matched dollar for dollar by the Hastings Council and donations from the Community.