ALBURY NSW 2640
Phone: +61 2 6023 8241
Fax: +61 2 6041 6527
Opened by Mayor William (Coffin) Jones in 1877, the gardens was originally laid out in the formation of a Union Jack (all straight lines). Covering 10 acres, the first trees were planted in 1877, the ‘Elm Avenue’.
The gardens contain an historic monument to Hamilton Hume and a rotunda commemorating Albury’s first settler, Robert Brown. The gates commemorate Robert Wilkinson, a draper who was mayor in 1903-05 and the sundial was given to the people of Albury to mark the centenary of Mates Department Store in 1950.
Today, sweeping lawns and shady trees, as well as being only a stroll from the centre of Albury, make the gardens a pleasant setting for a family picnic and a leisurely stroll.