Nobbys Road, Nobbys Beach ,
Newcastle, NSW, 2300
Phone 02 - 49 74 2999
Originally twice as high as today when Captain Cook named the headland Nobby's in 1770. The top of Nobby's was a convenient source of rock required for a harbour breakwater between Nobby's and the mainland.
A stockade on Nobby's housed convict workers while they quarried the rock into a series of terraces. Construction of a lighthouse began in 1856 and since 1857 has guided ships into the harbour.
Possibly the oldest rockfill breakwater in the Southern Hemisphere. Popular for joggers and leisurely walkers. Fishing off the breakwater rocks is allowed. Dolphins and whales often sighted from the headland.