Fort Drive, Nobbys Road
Newcastle, NSW, 2300
Phone 02 - 49 29 3066
Fax 02 - 49 27 0889
Newcastle's best heritage attraction with a museum, tunnels, cannons, shop and spectacular harbour/beach views.
It is the site of convict coalmines, established in 1799, which makes it Australia's first industrial site. It was Newcastle's maritime signalling station for coastal shipping during the early 1800's. The Fort and cannons were positioned to protect the harbour were established by Colonel Scratchley in 1882.
The tunnel complex and barracks were restored and fortified during both World War 1 and World War 2. Is the only coastal fort to have fired at an enemy, this occurred during the surprise submarine attack on Newcastle in June 1942.