40 Macquarie Street
Tel: +61 3 6211 4177
Fax: +61 3 6211 4112
The main site, buildings and establishment of the TMAG are historically significant.
The site is on the Hobart waterfront. It is bounded by Macquarie Street, Argyle Street, Davey Street and Dunn Place. It overlooks Constitution Dock and is one block from the GPO.
Situated in the 'roaring 40s' latitude Hobart developed as a communications and whaling port in the 19th century.
The Museum site includes
The commissariat store (1808) which issued the supplies for the people and the new colony. The Bond Store (1824) built on the waterfront as a store for incoming supplies. The Cottage, built originally as a private store or stable before 1810 and converted into a residence for the Governor's Secretary in 1828. A section of the original shoreline. The oldest existing backyard in the centre of Hobart. The first purpose-built museum building in Tasmanian 1862. Extensions to the Italianate Henry Hunter building in 1886. A purpose-built Art Gallery and large exhibition area opened 1901. An extensive addition in 1966. A new foyer in 1986. The 1901 Custom House built as a celebration of Australia's Federation has been leased from the Australian Commonwealth Government (1995) and has been refurbished as administrative offices and opened in November 1995 by The Premier, the Hon. Ray Groom MHA.